"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable think is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes." (from 'Attitude' by Charles Swindoll)

niedziela, 27 marca 2011

Piszę w drodze na moją pięciotygodniową wyprawę do Polski (i nie tylko). Jak wpadłam na pomysł tego wyjazdu, to pięć tygodni wydawało się zaledwie mgnieniem, ale jak przyszło do pakowania walizek i pożegnań, uświadomiłam sobie że to jednak strasznie długo.

Jak przystało na przeciętnego śmiertelnika, zamiast być wierną jednemu przewoźnikowi, starym zwyczajem zakupiłam najtańsze bilety... i w taki oto sposób załapałam się na 7-godzinną przesiadkę w Kopenhadze. Jako że jeszcze tu mnie nie było (oprócz lotniska oczywiście), postanowiłam wykorzystać okazję i zwiedzić trochę miasta.

Nie zrobiłam pracy domowej z Danii i nawet nie znałam za bardzo wartości duńskiej korony. W lotniskowym kantorze wypatrzyłam że 520-550 koron odpowiada wartości $100, więc postaniowiłam wyciągnąć 300 tej zagadkowej gotówki z bankomatu i zobaczyć co z tego wyjdzie. Okazało się że nawet nieźle to oszacowałam, bo sumka wystarczyła na opłacenie przechowani bagażu na lotnisku, śniadania w kawiarence w centrum oraz opłacenie wycieczki „autobusowo-łódkowej“ po mieście. Na metrze i tak tylko akceptowali kartę kredytową, więc dobrze się złożyło.

Muszę przyznać że wyludniona w niedzielny poranek Kopenhaga bardziej przypominała miasto duchów, niż europejską stolicę; ale wraz z rosnącą temperaturą i przygrzewającym słoneczkiem pojawili się na ulicach ludzie. Wydało mi się jednak całkowicie niezrozumiałe że informacja turystyczna w centrum miasta jest nieczynna w niedzielę. Poradziłam sobie jednak z mapką odebraną na lotnisku i… „koniec języka za przewodnika“.

Po około 4 godzinach wróciłam na lotnisko, zjadłam lunch i… już nie mogę doczekać się drzemki w drodze do Warszawy.

----------------------------

I’m writing en route to Poland, or rather my 5-weeks-long trip to Europe. When I first got an idea for this trip, five weeks seemed to be just a blink of an eye, but when it came to packing and good-byes, I realized it’s a really long time. I posted before (in Polish only) that with the beginning of residency approaching, this is my only chance to go back to Poland for a while, and spend some time with family and friends. I found a doc at my school who is involved in a long-term medical education project in Poland, and I arranged I could join him for few weeks; this way I get to go on my trip and get a credit at school at the same time.

Being just a broke student, instead of faithfully using one carrier for all my travel needs, I found the cheapest flight… and this is how I found myself stuck in Copenhagen for 7 hours today. Since I haven’t been to Scandinavia before (except from several previous airport transfers), I’ve decided to take this opportunity and visit the city.

I hadn’t done my Danish homework and when I landed I didn’t have a slightest clue about the value of Danish money… which turned out to be koronas – DKK, not Euros as I originally thought. I noticed at an airport exchange point that 520-550 DKK equals $100; I decided to withdraw 300 of that mysterious currency from an ATM and see how far it would get me. My estimation was surprisingly accurate because that amount paid for storage of my carry-on bags at the airport, a nice breakfast in a downtown café, and a bus/ boat tour of the city. Metro ticket machines only accepted credit cards, so things worked out great.

I have to admit that Copenhagen, totally deserted on this Sunday morning, at first resembled a ghost town rather than a European capital city. But as the temperature climbed and the sun kept shining, more and more people emerged into the streets. I found it surprising, however, that the tourist information center in downtown area was closed on Sunday. I still managed to find my way around with a city map picked up at the airport and… asking around for directions a couple of times.

After about 4 hours or so I got back to the airport, had a decent Thai for lunch and now can’t wait for a nap en route to Warsaw.



Jak to możliwe że tyle ludzi jeździ na rowerach.... jakby nie patrzeć w środku zimy!
How is it possible that so many people bike here in the middle of the winter. It was still below freezing point when the picture was taken.




Pomnik małej syrenki, który jest chyba jednym z najbardziej znanych symboli Kopenhagi.
The Little Mermaid - one of the most known symbols of Copenhagen.




Widoki ze statku wycieczkowego były pierwszorzędne.
The Views from the sightseeing boat were great!!!




Malowniczy kanał Nyhavn, z 17-wiecznymi budynkami i mnóstwem barów i restauracji
Nyhavn - a colorful 17th century waterfront full of great restaurants and pubs.

Brak komentarzy: